Roasted pumpkin and walnut dip
Pumpkin is probably most commonly associated with sweets in Turkey, but its sweet richness coupled with tahini, walnuts and the tang of lemon juice and pomegranate molasses makes a delicious savoury treat. This works beautifully as part of a feast, and if you make your own pide, it presents as an elegant dish all on its own.
Turkish-style pumpkin and walnut dip with pide. Photo: Bonnie Savage
Have your say
1.2kg kent pumpkin, cut into large chunks, skin on
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground allspice
150g walnuts, roasted
80ml extra virgin olive oil, plus extra
3 tbsp tahini
3 tbsp pomegranate molasses
juice of 1 lemon, finely grated zest of ½ lemon
2 tsp salt flakes
1 small white onion, sliced in rings
freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp tahini
50g walnuts, roasted, tossed in extra virgin olive oil and salt and roughly smashed
1 handful coriander leaves
feta (optional, see tips)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C fan-forced or 200C conventional. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Put the pumpkin in a large bowl, scatter over the cinnamon and allspice and toss until evenly coated. Spread the pumpkin out on the prepared tray without overcrowding and dry roast for 30 minutes until tender. Set aside to cool.
3. Soak the onion in a bowl of water for 10 minutes.
4. Put 150 grams of walnuts in a blender and process until quite fine. Gradually add two tablespoons of water followed by the oil to form a paste.
5. Scoop the pumpkin flesh from the skin and add to the blender along with the first measure of tahini, molasses, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the jug to combine evenly.
6. Drain the onion and dry with paper towel. Add to a small bowl and toss with a little oil and pepper.
7. Spoon the dip on to a lipped plate, top with tahini, scatter over the onion, smashed walnuts and coriander and squeeze over the lemon. Serve with pide.
1. Try using a mix of pumpkin and sweet potato.
2. Drizzle black tahini over the finished dip for a more dramatic presentation.
3. Serve with some crumbled feta.