These crisp, crunchy, butter-flavoured biscuits are popular with small children, especially when they come in fancy shapes.
Have your say
- 250 g (9 oz/2 cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 115 g (4 oz/½ cup) caster (superfine) sugar
- 250 g (9 oz) unsalted butter, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C (315°F/Gas 2–3). Lightly grease 2 baking trays. Sift the flours together into a large bowl and mix in the sugar. Rub in the butter using your fingertips and press the mixture together.
2. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead gently. Press out into a round about 1 cm (½ inch) thick and cut out with shaped cutters. Put the shortbreads onto the prepared baking trays. Bake for 25–30 minutes, or until golden brown.
3. Leave to cool on the trays for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.