Slow cooker chicken and rice soup
This soup is perfect for cold nights. Put it on in the morning before you head out for the day and come home to beautiful warming soup. It makes a great afternoon tea for kids between school and afternoon activities.
Slow cooker chicken and rice soup Photo: Nicole Avery
Have your say
- 4 large carrots
- A small bunch of spring onions
- 1½ tbsp fresh parsley
- 2 chicken breasts (approx 500 grams)
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ¾ cup rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Finely chop carrot and spring onions and place on the bottom of the slow cooker.
2. Cut chicken into small cubes and then place in slow cooker on top of the veggies.
3. Add parsley, salt and pepper, then pour stock over the ingredients.
4. Cook on high for about 3 - 4 hours or on low for 7 - 8 hours. 30 minutes before serving add the rice and gently stir it in.
You can add more rice if your family prefers a thicker soup as the rice absorbs liquid. Be careful however not to add to much as the rice continues to absorb liquid, even after it has been cooked.
Nicole Avery is a Melbourne mum to five beautiful kids aged four to 15. She is the master organiser behind the popular parenting blog Planning With Kids and the author of a book by the same name, where she shares tips and tricks for organising the chaos of family life.