Sparkly fairy wands
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 90 g (3 1/4 oz) butter, chopped
- 80 g (2 3/4 oz/ 1/3 cup) caster (superfine) sugar
- 90 g (3 1/4 oz/3/4 cup) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 30 g (1 oz/1/4 cup) self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons custard powder (instant vanilla pudding mix)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 200 g (7 oz) white chocolate melts, melted
- 10 iceblock (popsicle) sticks
- star-shaped cookie cutter
- icing (frosting), to decorate
- coloured silver balls (cachous), coloured sugar or pink sprinkles
1. Place the butter, sugar, flours and custard powder in a food processor. Process for 30 seconds or until fine and crumbly. Add the egg and process for 20 seconds, or until a soft dough forms.
2. Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 30 seconds. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Line two baking trays with baking paper. Roll the dough out between two sheets of baking paper to a 3 mm (1/8 inch) thickness. Cut the dough into star shapes using a 9 cm (3 ½ inch) star-shaped cutter.
4. Arrange the stars on the baking trays and bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Cool on the trays.
5. Place ½ teaspoon of melted chocolate on the flat side of half of the biscuits. Attach the sticks. Sandwich the remaining biscuits over the chocolate and press to secure. Allow the chocolate to set.
6. To decorate, put small dots of icing on one side of the biscuit. Top with coloured balls. Leave to set.