Strawberry swirl cupcakes
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 185 g (6½ oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 170 g (6 oz/¾ cup) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 125 g (4½ oz/1 cup) self-raising flour
- 30 g (1 oz/¼ cup) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) milk
- ¼ teaspoon pink food colouring
- 2 teaspoons icing (confectioners') sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon strawberry liqueur
- 6 strawberries, hulled and halved
- small scoops strawberry ice cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Line 12 standard muffin holes with paper cases.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together with electric beaters until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift the flours together and fold in alternately with the milk. Add the food colouring and lightly swirl through the mixture to create a marbled effect.
3. Divide the mixture evenly among the cases. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of a cake. Transfer onto a wire rack to cool.
4. Combine the icing sugar and liqueur and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the strawberries and stir to combine. Set aside to macerate for 5 minutes.
5. Cut out the centre of each cake leaving a 1 cm (½ inch) border. Top each cake with a scoop of ice cream and decorate with a strawberry liqueur.