Stuffed golden nugget pumpkins
If you can't find the large golden nuggets, use eight small ones and reduce the cooking time to 30–35 minutes.
Have your say
- 4 large golden nugget pumpkins, about 600 g (1 lb 5 oz) each
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 5 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 chorizo sausage, roughly chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons Moroccan seasoning
- 150 g (5½ oz/3⅓ cups) baby English spinach
- 185 g (6½ oz/1 cup) couscous
- 250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) boiling water
- 80 g (2¾ oz/½ cup) pine nuts, toasted
- 125 g (4½ oz/1 cup) grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
1. Cut the top off each pumpkin and scoop out the seeds and membrane with a spoon.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan over high heat and cook the bacon and chorizo for 4–5 minutes, or until brown. Stir in the onion and Moroccan seasoning and cook for a further 3 minutes, or until the onion has softened slightly. Toss in the spinach and cook for about 1 minute, or until wilted.
3. Put the couscous in a bowl, pour on the boiling water, then cover and set aside for 15 minutes. Fluff up the grains with a fork and stir in the bacon mixture, pine nuts and cheese. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Fill each pumpkin with the couscous mixture, then replace the pumpkin tops.
4. Line a large steamer with baking paper and punch with holes. Place the pumpkins in a single layer on top and cover with a lid. Sit the steamer over a saucepan or wok of boiling water and steam for 35–40 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender when pierced with a skewer. Serve with the tops to one side and garnish with chives.