Summer salad with marinated tofu steaks
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
Throw a (tofu) steak on the barbie.
- 500g block firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 250g (1 punnet) cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small Lebanese (short) cucumber, sliced
- 1 handful basil leaves, shredded
- 12 pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Cut the tofu horizontally into four thin steaks, or into four large cubes if you prefer. Place in a large, shallow non-metallic dish and drizzle with the vinegar and oil. Add the garlic and season well with salt and pepper. Use your fingers to rub the mixture evenly all over the tofu, then cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 4 hours, turning occasionally.
2. Preheat a barbecue flat plate to moderately hot. When you're nearly ready to eat, make the salad. Put the tomato, onion, cucumber, basil, olives and vinegar in a bowl, drizzle with the oil and toss together gently. Season well.
3. Cook the tofu on the hotplate for 2 minutes on each side, or until golden. Transfer to four serving plates and pile the salad over the top. Serve immediately, perhaps with some crusty bread.