Super gooey Nutella brownies
This is definitely not an every day treat, but whip these up for the Nutella fan in your life and you’ll cement their love forever.
Super gooey Nutella brownies Photo: Danielle Colley
Have your say
- 250g unsalted butter, cut up
- 200g 70% chocolate, broken into pieces
- ½ cup plain flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cups castor sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup hazelnuts, chunky chopped - optional
- 4 tablespoons Nutella
For the most part I try to keep my baking on the healthier end of the spectrum, but every now and then an idea for something so deliciously evil crosses my mind that my kitchen gets a proper run at a really decadent treat.
As I was making this, my children were hovering around the kitchen little fingers trying to sneak into mixing bowls. I had two visitors pop by and both were immediately hit by the aroma as it cooked and we all had to wait a torturous time while it cooked and cooled.
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C. Line a 25x25 square baking dish with baking paper.
2. Place your chocolate and butter into a large heatproof bowl over a simmering saucepan and water and melt together.
3. Place your flour, cocoa, baking powder and sugar into a separate bowl and mix together using a whisk to remove any lumps and aerate flour. This is how I cheat sifting because I’m lazy.
4. When your chocolate is melted and glossy, add your chopped nuts.
5. Add your flour mixture a bit at a time ensuring it is well combined between.
6. Lightly whisk your eggs, and then add them to your chocolate mix in three lots, mixing well in between. Your mix will be lovely and glossy and gooey.
7. Place your Nutella in the microwave for 20 seconds to loosen it up a little.
8. Pop half of your brownie mixture into your baking dish and then dollop half of your Nutella around. Slide the thin edge of a knife through to gently swirl it through the mix before placing the remaining brownie mix on top and repeating with the last of the Nutella.
9. Pop into the oven for 30-35 minutes. You need to ensure you do not over cook this. We want just set on top and side and gooey in the middle. Mine was really quite gooey but after it cooled it went fudgey.
10. Remove from oven and leave to cool before slicing into squares. Serve hot or cold and with cream or ice cream for a hint more decadence.