Tofu balls with salad
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup (80 g) roasted unsalted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 300 g hard tofu, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic chives
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 2 fresh kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- 1 stem lemon grass, white part only, sliced
- oil, for deep-frying
- 50 g mixed lettuce leaves
- 1 small Lebanese cucumber, halved lengthways and sliced diagonally
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- ½ avocado, sliced
1. To make the salad dressing, place the garlic, peanuts, tamari, lime juice and brown sugar in a food processor or blender and process until smooth, adding 2–3 tablespoons of water to achieve the desired consistency. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Put the tofu, chives, sweet chilli sauce, kaffir lime leaves and lemon grass in a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and form the mixture into 12 golf ball-sized balls.
3. Fill a wok or deep heavy-based saucepan one third full of oil and heat to 180°C (350°F), or until a cube of bread dropped into the oil browns in 15 seconds. Cook the tofu balls in batches for 2 minutes, or until browned. Remove, drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.
4. Put the lettuce, cucumber, onion and avocado on a serving platter and arrange the tofu balls on top. Serve immediately with the dressing.