Udon noodle and mushroom soup
Wakame flakes and nori are available from some supermarkets and Asian food stores.
Have your say
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp wakame (dried seaweed) flakes
- 150g fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 440g packet fresh udon noodles
- 2 spring onions, sliced diagonally
- 75g snow peas, trimmed and finely sliced lengthways
- 50g bean sprouts, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 nori sheet, shredded
- 1 tablespoon shichimi togarashi, for sprinkling
1. Put the stock in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the mirin, ginger, wakame and sliced mushrooms. Simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Put the noodles in a large bowl and pour over boiling water. Leave for 1 minute to heat through. Drain, refresh under cold running water and separate the noodles, then set aside.
3. Add the spring onions, snow peas, bean sprouts, soy sauce and shredded nori to the stock and simmer for a further 2 minutes.
4. Divide the noodles among four large serving bowls. Ladle over the hot broth and vegetables. Sprinkle with the shichimi togarashi.