Vegetable and noodle stir-fry
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 350 g (3/4 lb) fresh hokkien (egg) noodles
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 × 3 cm (1 1/4 × 1 1/4 inch) piece fresh ginger, julienned
- 5 spring onions (scallions), cut into 5 cm (2 inch) lengths
- 1 small red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 star anise
- 1 small red capsicum (pepper), thinly sliced
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz) snow peas (mangetout), trimmed and halved diagonally
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz) open cap mushrooms, quartered
- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) baby bok choy (pak choi), trimmed, leaves separated, cut into 5 cm (2 inch) lengths
- 115 g (1/4 lb) baby corn, halved diagonally
- 2 teaspoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- 100 ml (3 1/2 fl oz) Chinese barbecue sauce (char sui)
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine
- 15 g (1/2 cup) coriander (cilantro) leaves
1. Put the noodles in a large heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and soak for 5 minutes. Use a fork to gently separate the noodles, then drain well. Toss with the sesame oil.
2. Heat a wok over high heat. Add the vegetable oil and swirl to coat. Add the red onion, garlic, ginger, spring onion and chilli and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the star anise, capsicum, snow peas, mushrooms, bok choy and baby corn and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes.