A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 3 large red capsicums
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 tablespoons oil
- large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 500 g (1 lb) mushrooms, sliced
- 440 g (14 oz) can tomatoes, crushed
- 440 g (14 oz) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- salt and pepper
- 250 g (8 oz) packet instant lasagne
- 1 bunch English spinach, chopped
- 1 cup (30 g/1 oz) basil leaves
- 90 g (3 oz) sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Cheddar cheese
- 60 g (2 oz) butter
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 cups (500 ml/16 fl oz) milk
- 600 g (1¼ lb) ricotta cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C(350°F/Gas 4). Brush a 35 × 28 cm (14 × 11 inch) ovenproof casserole dish with oil or melted butter. Cut the capsicums into quarters and remove the seeds and membrane. Place the capsicum pieces skin-side up on a grill tray and brush with oil. Grill for 10 minutes or until the skin is black. Cover with a damp tea towel and set aside until cool. Peel off the skin and cut the flesh into long thin strips and set aside. Slice the eggplant into 1 cm (½ inch) rounds and place in a large pan of boiling water. Cook for about 1 minute, or until just tender, then drain and pat dry with paper towel and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based frying pan. Add the onion, garlic and herbs. Cook over medium heat for five minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the mushrooms and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, beans, chilli sauce and salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Dip the lasagne sheets, if necessary, in hot water to soften slightly and arrange 4 sheets on the base of prepared dish. Arrange half of each amount of the eggplant, spinach, basil, pepper, mushroom mixture and sun-dried tomatoes over the pasta. Top with a layer of pasta and press gently. Repeat layers, finishing with a layer of lasagne. Top with the cheese sauce and sprinkle with the combined cheeses. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the pasta is soft.
4. To make Sauce: Heat the butter in a medium pan and add the flour. Stir over medium heat for 2 minutes or until golden. Add the milk gradually, stirring until sauce boils and thickens. Boil 1 minute. Add the ricotta and stir until smooth.