Vietnamese lemongrass beef stir-fry
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 175 g (6 oz) piece sirloin, skirt or rump steak, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 red bird's eye chilli, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1 lemongrass stem, white part only, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 1½ tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
- ½ red onion, cut into thin wedges
- ½ small carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- roasted unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped, to serve
- coriander (cilantro) leaves, to serve
- steamed rice, to serve
1. Combine the meat, cornflour, garlic, chilli, ginger, lemongrass, fish sauce and oyster sauce in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes or until ready to cook.
2. Heat a wok or frying pan over medium heat until it begins to smoke, then add half the oil. Add the onion and carrot and stir-fry for 1 minute or until softened slightly, then transfer to a bowl.
3. Wipe the wok clean, add the remaining oil, return the wok to the heat and when hot, stir-fry the prepared meat mixture, tossing for 2 minutes or until meat is browned but still a little pink in the middle. Return the vegetables to the wok, add the sugar and toss for 1 minute to combine. To serve, place the stir-fry onto a serving dish, garnish with peanuts and coriander and serve with the steamed rice on the side.