Warm pesto pasta salad
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 very large handfuls basil
- 50g (1/2 cup) grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 500g orecchiette or shell pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 150g capers, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 300g asparagus spears, blanched
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 200g rocket
- parmesan shavings, to serve
1. To make the pesto, place garlic, sea salt and pine nuts in a food processor and process until combined. Add basil and parmesan and process until finely minced. With the motor running, add oil in thin steady stream and blend until smooth.
2. Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water until al dente, then drain well. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan, add capers and fry over high heat, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes, or until crisp. Remove from pan and drain on crumpled paper towels.
3. In the same frying pan, heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium heat and add the garlic, tomato and asparagus. Cook for 1-2 minutes, tossing well. Stir in the balsamic vinegar.
4. Drain the pasta and transfer to a large serving bowl. Add the pesto and toss, coating the pasta well. Cool slightly. Add the tomato mixture and rocket and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss well and sprinkle with the capers and parmesan.