Riotproof

Do you love your vacuum?

Riotproof

My lg kompressor has just died I think. It won’t power on at all. We’ve had it for twelve years and it’s been okay. I suppose people will say 12 years is pretty good. 😒

i need bagless, barrel, and not too heavy for taking up and down stairs. A robot isn’t going to work unless they all leave home tomorrow. 

So, any suggestions? TIA. 

seayork2002

We have a dyson bag less barrel one, dh does the floors so the only thing I really know about it is its red.

• Thanks 1

Expelliarmus

I love mine. Dyson stick V10+.

• Like 2

Riotproof
7 minutes ago, Expelliarmus said:

How is the battery? We have carpeted stairs, three bedrooms and lounge. 

bubskitkat

I used my Dyson ball vacuum but I can not confess my love of it. I guess at least it can talk back....

• Haha 1

Riotproof
2 minutes ago, bubskitkat said:

I used my Dyson ball vacuum but I can not confess my love of it. I guess at least it can talk back....

Someone here will love their vacuum. Promise. 

• Haha 1

Expelliarmus
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Riotproof said:

How is the battery? We have carpeted stairs, three bedrooms and lounge. 

It has three settings and 3 hours of battery on the lowest setting which is generally adequate. I can do the family room rug, front room, study and 4 bedrooms in one go when it’s fully charged with plenty of charge left. I find I tend to do it in small moments through because I don’t have to drag an entire vacuum out and deal with its cord. It’s not a drama to get it out for one room. 

Edited by Expelliarmus
  • Like 1

TinyGiraffe
1 hour ago, Expelliarmus said:

Same! I find the low power more than enough suction and can easily do our 5 bed house upstairs and downstairs in one charge. Mix of carpet, floorboards and stone tiles. 

• Like 3

Mooples

We have 2 Dysons, a stick and a big ball and tbh the big ball isn’t all that great for the $900 we paid for it. It’s all plastic and just not as good as it should be for the price tag. The Miele I had before felt so much sturdier but when that broke they didn’t make bagless vacuums, not sure if they do now. Hence we went with the Dyson. 

• Like 1

Riotproof
25 minutes ago, Expelliarmus said:

It has three settings and 3 hours of battery on the lowest setting which is generally adequate. I can do the family room rug, front room, study and 4 bedrooms in one go when it’s fully charged with plenty of charge left. I find I tend to do it in small moments through because I don’t have to drag an entire vacuum out and deal with its cord. It’s not a drama to get it out for one room. 

I’m always vacuuming up little bits of paper and craft, I wonder how it would cope. 

Riotproof
26 minutes ago, TinyGiraffe said:

Same! I find the low power more than enough suction and can easily do our 5 bed house upstairs and downstairs in one charge. Mix of carpet, floorboards and stone tiles. 

Do you think people really like to hear the vroom, vroom noise so they always go for the highest? Maybe that’s why so many people complain. 

*Andi*
Just now, Riotproof said:

Do you think people really like to hear the vroom, vroom noise so they always go for the highest? Maybe that’s why so many people complain. 

The older models had a much shorter battery life - we have the V6 I think and it was only 8 minutes on high and 20 minutes on normal. 

We recently upgraded to the V11 absolute and it has the awesome battery life. I normally use the middle setting, or high on the plush carpet in the kids' rooms. It's not my main vacuum though, I have a sauber barrel for that (but really cleaners who bring their own). 

TinyGiraffe
20 minutes ago, Riotproof said:

Not sure if earlier models were less powerful and needed to use the higher settings to achieve a good result but on high power on stone floors the noise is bordering painful for me and with 2 very small kids where I am constantly using it for food or crafts etc, low - med has plenty of power for me and I rarely use high. 

• Like 1

JustBeige

I have a Tineco. Definitely love it. It comes with 2 batteries and loads of accessories. Not cheap and only from Godfreys i think.

We have carpeted stairs (2 lots ) 3 beds,  lounge etc all carpeted  and both batteries are enough to do whole house on full power. 

I love how it gives me an LED reading on how dirty the floor is

can'tstayaway

If you only want one, I’d recommend a Miele. They have bagless options now but I have the bagged ones. The barrel is stable and easy to manoeuvre which I found a pain with the Dyson. They have different nozzles and heads which are good for different jobs. I really liked the power head (purchased separately) for carpets with our long hair, shedding dog. 

My mother thought I was extravagant for buying two vacuums - one for each level so I never had to lug them up and down the stairs. Actually, it was more if you included the stick and robots. A few years ago, I bought her a second vacuum and I noticed that she replaced the old  one as soon as it died to maintain the one for each level status quo. It really does make life easier when you are doing a crappy job. 

We also have a Dyson stick. It’s about 2-3yrs old and great.  I took it to Mum’s to help her at one stage and left it there. She now uses the stick the most out of the 3 vacuums she now owns 😂 

The newer sticks have a much better battery life and I find I tire of holding the button before the battery runs out. The canister is much easier to empty than the old models. Mine is set up in our walk in pantry so easy to access for little spills. 

I know you don’t want robots but just putting it out there for anyone else reading, the new iRobot is the bomb. It runs every night in our downstairs area and I haven’t got the barrel vac out in forever. Between the stick and robot, there hasn’t been a need for the regular vacuum on the floors. I only get it out these days to clean cobwebs off the cornices and the aircon vents. 

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle

We used to have two indestructible ( as in we got my grandma's old one and replaced it with the newer equilivaent, both lasted over 10 years each) Electrolux.

We talked to several sales people and tried lots but they were honest, Electrolux, since changing country of manufactuer had gone downhill.

Miele was their reccomendation for similar quality with a power driven power head ( not just  extra suck, it needs to have a rotating brush like the old Electroluxs).

Our Miele is 4 years now and I am really happy with it. No issues. It's not bagless as DH is allergic to dust mites and would not be able to empty a cannister. It has washable filters, a HEPA filter and is easy to use.

Riotproof
1 hour ago, JustBeige said:

I love how it gives me an LED reading on how dirty the floor is

That sounds depressing. Lol 

• Haha 1

Riotproof

I should also add I have long brown hair and seem to lose it everywhere. I spend a lot of time cutting it out of my current vacuum head. 

Expelliarmus

You can take the head of the Dyson apart to make detangling hair from it easier. DD2 is 6ft with hair to her butt - so pretty long - and I really like this feature because it makes it so much easier. It supposedly has a feature that stops hair getting wound around it but it still does. It’s just heaps easy to get off because I can take it apart. 

• Like 2

Sentient Puddle

I have the cheapest Dyson stick.  I love it.  I have lots of pets - so it gets out every day or two.  Yes, you have to clean the head often as it gets clogged with hair but I would never go back to a corded vacuum.  I also only ever but the cheapest as I run the machine hard and often replace the head once out of warranty (cheap to do) and then buy another cheapie every about 3ish years.  For the amount of hair and dirt it picks up it is worth it!!

FuzzyChocolateToes

I have 3 vacuums ☺️. A Miele that's getting on in years, still works well but now that we have a 2 storey house it seems heavy and annoying to drag around. I have a Xiaomi robot for downstairs. It was much loved until I got a Dyson stick! 😅 I got a v10 on special and it is fantastic! I can do the whole house (5 bedrooms) on one charge, though I prefer to do it in two attempts. I really didn't want to spend that much so I read up on the other stick vacuums but Dyson always came out on top.  

• Like 1

Mumsyto2

We have the Dyson V10+ stick which is ok. Use it everyday for a quick go-over and it does most of the place in one go. 

Then once a week we use the Dyson ball which is far superior to the stick. Ours is 15 years old. At 12yo the motor blew up and Dyson popped a new one in, good as new. 

Not sure if it makes a difference but we don’t have any carpet. 

-Emissary-

We have three vacuums here. One is the Dyson ball that DH brought with him into the marriage (I hate it). One is a Dyson V8 that DH got given by his boss (not a fan either). One is a Miele bag that I bought when we moved to our new place (my favourite - love it more than my children..).

I am a Miele fan through and through. You’ll never be able to convince me that a Dyson is worth the price cord or not. 

JustBeige
1 hour ago, Riotproof said:

That sounds depressing. Lol 

:lol: not really,  cool seeing it go from red to blue and seeing where the dirt accumulates.

Murderino

I’ve only ever had a Dyson in a furnished rental in England in 2004 and I still remember how rubbish it was!

I got a Miele (bagged) when we moved in here (last house was ducted) and I think it’s really good (I’ll never love a vacuum  but it comes close).