Riotproof

Fort nite..

Riotproof

I did a search as I know this has been discussed before, but what are your feelings about fortnite? 
Is there an appropriate age to play? 

I tend to have the view that the kill or be killed message is not a good one. I don’t mind killing monsters or with purpose, but the random killing of anyone who you come across doesn’t sit well with me. 

• Like 1

*Marty*

I am glad my early teens are not interested in this game.  It means it is a battle I dont need to have with them.  Its a no in this house. 

• Like 1

Riotproof

Why is it a no? 

LucyGoose

My 5 year old wants to play,  and that was an easy no.   But generally in my social circles the boys are playing it by about 9-10.  It’s super popular.     It’s not something my daughters are interested in at all.

Dadto2

You are shooting other human characters with assault rifles. Not something suitable for anyone under 14?

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef

Does anybody have this on switch?   I downloaded and there doesn't seem to be any way to play without paying, but I just want to have a look at it and see whether its suitable for my kids. 

DD2 is 7 and quite a few of her classmates play. One parent said that its not all shooting, theres an escape part and her kids just play that. 

Riotproof
Posted (edited)

@MadMarchMasterchef that’s where Ds has it. We don’t have a credit card attached to the Nintendo account. I actually thought one of the main criticisms is the addictiveness and the fact that it’s free but you can pay for enhancements. 
I said no in year 2, so I’m a bit surprised and annoyed it is still a thing. 

Ironically, the child encouraging my child to play it is no longer allowed because his mum said he played too much. And the friends he has been playing with are ones I’ve never heard of before. 

eta. I have downloaded a switch parental controls app which I didn’t realise existed. Now he can only play games set at a child rating and has a daily limit of time imposed. 

Edited by Riotproof

Soontobegran

We are the mean grandparents when we have grandchildren here. It is totally banned from our household, a decision we made after watching one grandson play it.

We have also banned begging for it and any discussion about it results in a device ban for the time they are here.

I have some children who allow it and some who don't but they respect our decision.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

rainycat

My 10yr olds aren’t allowed to play it. I think it is aimed at teens but we find it way too violent and just an awful game.

• Like 1

watergirl
45 minutes ago, Riotproof said:

@MadMarchMasterchef that’s where Ds has it. We don’t have a credit card attached to the Nintendo account. I actually thought one of the main criticisms is the addictiveness and the fact that it’s free but you can pay for enhancements. 

Ironically, the child encouraging my child to play it is no longer allowed because his mum said he played too much. And the friends he has been playing with are ones I’ve never heard of before. 

eta. I have downloaded a switch parental controls app which I didn’t realise existed. Now he can only play games set at a child rating and has a daily limit of time imposed. 

Whats the app name please, Riotproof?

Riotproof

@watergirl it’s called Nintendo Switch Parental Controls. 

magic_marker

I have always been of the understanding that it is aimed at teenagers 14+.

It is not something l want in my home, but l hear about it and am being badgered about.

It's a hard NO here. I feel the less we normalise violence, the less chance it would be out in the community.

I may start ranting so l'll just leave it there!

• Like 3

watergirl
9 minutes ago, Riotproof said:

@watergirl it’s called Nintendo Switch Parental Controls. 

Brilliant! Thank you 🙂

• Like 1

wallofdodo
Posted (edited)

After much hand wringing I have let my 11 year old play it. It has been good and bad. During lockdown it was a great way for him to keep in touch and make new friends (friends of friends). There appears to be strategy and thinking involved (as well as shooting). The bad aspect has been the constant nagging for Vbucks.  

He is currently banned for purchasing said Vbucks with my money after we had said no. He is a great kid, just made a bit of a mistake. There are other issues at play here too. 

Edited by wallofdodo
  • Like 1

Pip_longstockings

I have a 9 and 11 year old, it is a no, they are only allowed to play age appropriate games in my house and the kids have accepted this. I do know they play elsewhere, I don't like the concept of the game or how addictive it is but have turned a blind eye to playing elsewhere as it got really hard to control. It has fallen out of favour at the moment with the kids preferring Roblox, I don't love this either but I keep a close eye on the friends they are playing with and the games they are playing. 

• Like 2

doubting thomas

PP. Can you tell me what the problem with roblox is please? My 8yo loves it and whenever I check what he is up to it seems pretty tame. I've told him not to go on the scary granny  and slenderman games on it.  Are there others I should check? 

Belaire

DS1 (almost 12) plays it. I'm okay with it - would probably be hypocritical of me not to be! I grew up playing classic games like  Mortal Kombat.

There's a very large social aspect with the game, playing with friends and strategising and  trying to escape/collect things/etc There are tournaments to compete in. You still "kill or be killed" but you just go back to the lobby anyway. And join a different game or whatever. You don't even bleed or anything. It's like when Roadrunner wins against Wile E Coyote. 

Games like this are really nothing new. They've been around since consoles were invented.

• Like 4

#notallcats
1 hour ago, Dadto2 said:

You are shooting other human characters with assault rifles. Not something suitable for anyone under 14?

I'd say they are cartoon characters, rather than human.  And some of them are not even human, mine are currently playing with a banana character. 

When they 'die' there is no blood or gore, you just disappear.  There is many other parts of the game, you can not shoot anyone at all if you choose.   After all the negative press on it, I was surprised it was really not that violent.   I think there is an addiction problem with it, but mine have been ok with that, and I don't buy the vbucks or whatever, and luckily they don't nag for it.  I have an older child so I let my 9 year old play it, but I probably wouldn't have let them until 10 otherwise.  Most of his friends have been playing for years though. 

• Like 4

Riotproof
17 minutes ago, wallofdodo said:

He is currently banned for purchasing said Vbucks with my money after we had said no. He is a great kid, just made a bit of a mistake. There are other issues at play here too. 

Ah. We have never bought robux. I strongly discourage the purchasing of virtual goods as it really has a strong gambling vibe for me. 

Popper

It is a big no in our household too.

- Violent

- Addictive

- Constant pressure to spend $ in the game

We have a switch and the kids are allowed to play on weekends only games like Mario Kart instead.

We have friends who have young boys playing 12 hours a day. That was enough to make us never want to start.

• Like 2

BeAwesome

It's a no in this household for DD 8 years,  who constantly pesters for screen time.  Not so much content as the addictive format of game play.  She has recently been allowed Roblox, but not allowed virtual currency.  

I probably would let DD12 play it, as she isn't as screen obsessed, but it's not in her realm of interests.  

I teach Kindergarten, and I have had children exposed to it from older siblings.  In a few specific cases, the obsession warranted a quick word with their parents.  

• Like 1

ImperatorFuriosa

My 11 year old has played it since day dot. Not all the time. It's more a of a once of a twice a month game for him. I have no problem with it at all.

2_little_boys

My kids (DS13 and DS17) have no interest in it so I havent even looked into what it involves.

I think I got lucky there.

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef
1 hour ago, Riotproof said:

Thanks.  Maybe we downloaded the wrong version or something.  We couldn't actually progress past the first screen as it kept asking us to buy a battle pack or something.   I might delete and try again. 

We have the parental controls too because DH and I sometimes play adult rated games after the kids are in bed  

wallofdodo
17 minutes ago, Riotproof said:

Ah. We have never bought robux. I strongly discourage the purchasing of virtual goods as it really has a strong gambling vibe for me. 

Yeah, I kinda agree, but he came to us with a good argument for it. But that has bitten us on the bum.