DogsLife

Kettle

DogsLife

Totally fluffy but wondering how long you keep your kettle for? 

If you keep it for a period of years do you somehow clean it or assume that it cleans itself when you are boiling water?

CrankyM

We've had ours for years. We usually buy a new one once the old one dies or gets too encrusted with calcium. I do "clean" it every 2-3 months. But that is basically just boiling it multiple times with citric acid (1tsp per 1L) to help remove the scaling. We live in an area with high levels of minerals in the water. It's unusal for a kettle to not need replacing every 3-4 years. I do need to buy a new one actually.

Winter frost

I don’t know when we bought our kettle. Maybe 10 years ago.  I clean the outside occasionally. Does that count?

• Like 3

TinyGiraffe

I recently replaced our kettle when we moved after having the old one for ~8 years as it had started to leak at the spout when pouring. 

I descale every 6-9 months at the same time I do the coffee machine but we have low buildup so not needed often. Apart from calcium buildup, not sure why you would replace a working kettle or what needs to be cleaned? 

• Like 1

22Fruitmincepies

I keep mine for as long as it’s working reliably and safely. I descale a few times a year, usually with vinegar. 

• Like 1

Mrs Zee
2 minutes ago, 22Fruitmincepies said:

I keep mine for as long as it’s working reliably and safely. I descale a few times a year, usually with vinegar. 

This is true for me too. 

Soontobegran

Kettles are disposable aren't they?  :)

• Haha 1

~LemonMyrtle~

Keep it until it stops working of course. And no, don’t clean it unless it gets scale build up, then it gets a quick scrub and we keep using it.

• Like 1

can'tstayaway

Same as above.  I think I have only had one electric kettle of my own.  I would boil with vinegar every month to clean the scale and wipe down when I was wiping the kitchen each night. I left it as part of our house that was for rent but it has since been stolen. 

I now have a Zipboil tap so don’t need a kettle. I do have a stovetop one as backup and don’t ever expect to throw it out. 

Zippypeaks

Ugh, I made the mistake of buying a glass kettle. It looks filthy All. The. Time. Im waiting for it to break so I can replace it. I squeeze half a lemon and boil it (the lemon and lemon water) every 1-2 weeks to keep the scale at bay. Comes up sparkling. Its been 4 years so far and its (annoyingly) working perfectly. 

• Like 1

22Fruitmincepies
5 minutes ago, Zippypeaks said:

Ugh, I made the mistake of buying a glass kettle. It looks filthy All. The. Time. Im waiting for it to break so I can replace it. I squeeze half a lemon and boil it (the lemon and lemon water) every 1-2 weeks to keep the scale at bay. Comes up sparkling. Its been 4 years so far and its (annoyingly) working perfectly. 

It’s always the way, the one you want to break never does! Maybe you know of someone who needs a kettle and you can generously give them yours and buy a new one, without too much guilt? 

DogsLife

I really want a new kettle, this one is ugly and we have had it for about 3 years.  Nearly bought one a few months ago when it decided not to switch off my itself but then magically started working again.  I then decided to keep it as was trying to be conservative with money.

This morning I declared I would be buying a new kettle and was told off by the 16 year old about a working appliance just ending up in landfill. 

can'tstayaway

Yeah, going into landfill isn’t good but I have way more clothes/shoes/handbags than is necessary so I can’t point fingers on wanting pretty things 😜

Most charities won’t take electrical items these days because the cost of testing and tagging isn’t worth it. 

Do you know of anyone who is setting up their own home in the near future?  My MIL used us as an opportunity to get rid of stuff she didn’t like but felt too wasteful to throw out. I had to draw the line when our house was full but DH was still accepting her furniture. 

Or maybe try GIVIT which matches up specific donations with actual need. 

hills mum bec

We have a glass one.  I give it a wipe over on the outside but the inside still looks clean and it's about 5 years old now.

got my tinsel on

My goodness, my kettle is about 20 years old I think.

Still going strong, still looks like new  - hope I haven't put the mozz on it by saying that.

22Fruitmincepies

Kettles go quickly in my buy nothing group, that way you're helping someone out, not contributing to landfill. 

Jersey Caramel
Posted (edited)

I think we have had 3 kettles in 19 years... the most recent is maybe 3 years old,  so looks like we get about 8 years out of a kettle. Which is pretty good considering how many times I make tea every day. 

Edited by Jersey Caramel

BornToLove

Ours is starting to go. It works but takes too long. I’m currently looking for a new one but nothing catches my eye and has good reviews. Everyone seems to complain they either take too long to boil or are too noisy while doing it. 

-Emissary-
Posted (edited)

We bought ours when we moved in here about two years ago. 

Its a stupidly expensive Delonghi kettle that doesn’t do anything fancy. It matches our stupidly expensive and big four slices toaster (we hardly eat toast..)..so as far as I’m concern, we are keeping them until they die (or we die..whichever/whoever goes first)

Edited by -Emissary-
  • Like 2

ineedmorecoffee

Bought a $20 Target kettle when we moved in here about 3.5 years ago and its still going strong. Suprised it hasn’t died since we’ve been both WFH for nearly 4 months and each have a bazillion cups of tea and coffee each day.

When I grow up I want a zip boil tap like the pp, would be so convenient to have boiling water on tap 😀

• Like 1

*bucket*

We have a glass one and I quite like it, we've had it about 7 years now. I give pour some vinegar in every now and again (when I can't stand the scale anymore), boil it, leave it sit (with a sign on it to say there is vinegar present!), empty it, wipe it, rinse it and good to go. Doesn't take long really, and it glows a very pretty blue when you boil it 😊. I would consider another glass one if this one dies.

MadMarchMasterchef

You need to descale them if you live where I live (Adelaide, very hard water)..    I boil every 3 months or so with citric acid leave for half an hour then rinse. 

I keep my kettle usually until they break.  The last one I had the lid fell off but I replaced it with the same one as Id had it for years and it seemed good. 

Grrrumbles

I have my grandmother’s and she passed away 20 years ago. I suspect it is Australian made. It is really ugly but lives in the butlers pantry and doesn’t get used every day. It was very very used when I got it though. I did clean it then but don’t recall the last time I descaled.

My mum makes a big deal about getting the cheapest ones possible, usually from the supermarket. They often last months if that but she keeps the receipt and returns them.

Lou-bags
On 03/07/2020 at 10:29 AM, Zippypeaks said:

Ooooh thanks for this tip! We have a glut of lemons on our tree, shall use this trick to give my kettle a descale today! 

Inkogneatoh

The last kettle we got, we bought before the previous one had died, but it was an el cheapo supermarket one and we had gotten a good 5 or so years out of it. However, we'd just had the kitchen remodeled and there was a demand of "new kitchen, new appliances" meaning we ended replacing the working kettle, toaster, microwave (I think this was actually starting to die), deep fryer and something else I can't remember. The kettle was used again to boil water in a bedroom for a baby's bottle, to avoid trekking the length of the house multiple times a night, and is currently in the spare room.

However the toaster is a thorn on my side. It took ages to give away (months of I'll grab it next time I'm there as they were upgrading from a 2 slice to the 4 slice), and then boomeranged back within 12 months, along with the people who took it.