Tessied

Can I sell it?

Tessied

I ordered a mattress from a well known 'boxed' mattress company a few weeks ago.  It was quite delayed so I contacted chat and they couldn't even get an ETA, so they cancelled that and ordered me an express one.

All good,  except 15 mins later it arrived.

So I went back on chat, they apologised and cancelled the new one.

Two days later, it arrived anyway.

All good again, I chatted and they organised for a pick up (TODAY) and gave me a new pillow in response.

WELL, today I have recieved a THIRD mattress.

I've been patient the whole time but now I'm like screw it, can i just keep it and sell it and recover the costs of my actual mattress? 

• Haha 7
  • Confused 2

Mrs Zee

I'm going to say yes given how much effort you've gone to to rectify it. 

• Like 1

born.a.girl

I'd persevere with returning them.  Many businesses are in disarray trying to both socially distance and cover for employees waiting for test results etc.

What would motivate me is wondering if a specific employee was going to cop the consequences of making a mistake.

• Like 17

Living Type

Nope. All though they’ve stuffed up, they’ve stuffed up in the right way if that makes sense making sure you’re not without a mattress. If it’s been a major inconvenience, I’d be contacting them about some kind of refund for your time spent organising/waiting for pickups. 

• Like 1

Luci

I can understand OP you would be feeling pretty frustrated with the whole thing.  I personally would be a bit concerned that if I sold it, they might still work out their mistake later and come after me for the money. It could potentially get quite unpleasant.  I think it would potentially try for a little longer to get them to collect both mattresses. Maybe another couple of emails a few days apart followed by a final email advising that if they mattresses are not collected by x date you will assume that the company does not intend to collect them and they will be disposed of.  I think you have some level of obligation (annoying though it is) to demonstrate that you took all reasonable steps to return them before you claim them as you own. 

• Like 7

Tessied
9 minutes ago, Luci said:

I can understand OP you would be feeling pretty frustrated with the whole thing.  I personally would be a bit concerned that if I sold it, they might still work out their mistake later and come after me for the money. It could potentially get quite unpleasant.  I think it would potentially try for a little longer to get them to collect both mattresses. Maybe another couple of emails a few days apart followed by a final email advising that if they mattresses are not collected by x date you will assume that the company does not intend to collect them and they will be disposed of.  I think you have some level of obligation (annoying though it is) to demonstrate that you took all reasonable steps to return them before you claim them as you own. 

I looked up the law out of interest and they have one month to collect if I tell them, or three months if I don't!

• Like 1

Luci
14 minutes ago, Tessied said:

I looked up the law out of interest and they have one month to collect if I tell them, or three months if I don't!

I agree, I think I have read that piece of legislation as well but ages ago.  I think is something in there as well about allowing reasonable access to the goods - so you have to let them into your house or wherever to collect the items. 

Squeekums The Elf
19 minutes ago, Tessied said:

well in that case, id store it, wait it out, then sell it

Youve let them know, i sure as hell wouldnt be running round chasing them up after they screw up so much, not my issue they screwed up.

5 minutes ago, Luci said:

I agree, I think I have read that piece of legislation as well but ages ago.  I think is something in there as well about allowing reasonable access to the goods - so you have to let them into your house or wherever to collect the items. 

Reasonable access a bit of a grey area though really. 

We had a bed and mattress delivered earlier in year before corona hit. We still had it dropped outside, we removed old mattress to front porch for them. Not once did they come in house. So for us, reasonable access is the front porch but not inside as no one delivers or collects from inside but would the company deem that reasonable access? Who has more rights to say who comes in my home the company or me? 

• Like 1

Luci
3 minutes ago, Squeekums The Elf said:

well in that case, id store it, wait it out, then sell it

Youve let them know, i sure as hell wouldnt be running round chasing them up after they screw up so much, not my issue they screwed up.

Reasonable access a bit of a grey area though really. 

We had a bed and mattress delivered earlier in year before corona hit. We still had it dropped outside, we removed old mattress to front porch for them. Not once did they come in house. So for us, reasonable access is the front porch but not inside as no one delivers or collects from inside but would the company deem that reasonable access? Who has more rights to say who comes in my home the company or me? 

I think it means you have to allow them to get the item. So you can’t say for example come and pick it up on Thursday - when you won’t be home and the item is inside your locked house.   If there was somewhere suitable outside that the item could be left for them to collect that would be ok, ideally on a pre-arranged date / time window etc when they advised you that would come to get it. 

• Like 1

got my tinsel on

I wouldn't keep it or sell it.   Let them know that another mattress has arrived.

Yes, you've been a little inconvenienced but they have ensured that you got your mattress as soon as they possibly could during difficult times.

Don't take advantage of that.

• Like 16

Tessied

Well, they were meant to pick up the first one today and still no one arrived.    I also don't really want a giant mattress sitting there for weeks either, but hopefully they pick it up tomorrow.

I get that they wanted to get a mattress to me, but I'm very confused where this third one came from?  The second one makes sense, it was sent out before the cancellation note, but why do I now have three!

Luci

I hope they collect them both soon as well.  It's unreasonable IMO for someone to be expected to store 2 x large mattresses for any length of time. 

• Like 6

iwanttosleepin

I'd let them know and hope they come collect.  I assume they are still boxed.

We had an issue with 8 dining chairs.  I ordered them online, they turned up but 2 were crap - completely out of alignment.  They agreed to replace them but that took at least 6 emails and a couple of weeks.  So then they sent 2 out.  Then 2 weeks later a chap turned up to collect 2 of the original ones.  And then another 2 weeks later I got a refund.  I gave up!  they've gone bankrupt since and I've been emails as a creditor.  I give up.

• Haha 1

born.a.girl
1 hour ago, Tessied said:

Well, they were meant to pick up the first one today and still no one arrived.    I also don't really want a giant mattress sitting there for weeks either, but hopefully they pick it up tomorrow.

I get that they wanted to get a mattress to me, but I'm very confused where this third one came from?  The second one makes sense, it was sent out before the cancellation note, but why do I now have three!

Easy. When you're running a decent sized distribution business, the mostly likely time to make a mistake, is when you've already made one.  You're so busy making sure you don't make the mistake again, you make a different one.

If you've ever had things go wrong with your business, and feel that people really don't understand the issue because they don't understand  how your business operates, then use the same magnanimity here.  Everyone's working under stress.   You got your mattress, and a free pillow.  I'd be impressed they actually bothered to recognise your inconvenience, as an indication of how their business operates.

Like your business, there are human beings at the other end of this. 

• Like 13

Tessied
7 minutes ago, born.a.girl said:

Easy. When you're running a decent sized distribution business, the mostly likely time to make a mistake, is when you've already made one.  You're so busy making sure you don't make the mistake again, you make a different one.

If you've ever had things go wrong with your business, and feel that people really don't understand the issue because they don't understand  how your business operates, then use the same magnanimity here.  Everyone's working under stress.   You got your mattress, and a free pillow.  I'd be impressed they actually bothered to recognise your inconvenience, as an indication of how their business operates.

Like your business, there are human beings at the other end of this. 

Yeah I get how the world works, you don't need to be quite so condescending.

I asked for the freebie, they didn't offer it.  

The other mistakes weren't their fault, it was the couriers they have hired.  However now I have two massive queen sized mattresses out the front of my house waiting for pick up and I'm doubtful it's going to be picked up anytime soon.  I have nowhere else to put them, but have people coming to my *own* business as well.  So yeah, I'm kind of annoyed by now - I stayed home so they could organise this mattress pick up, and instead an extra mattress turned up instead!      

• Like 1

Lifesgood

It sounds like every time you contact them you end up with another mattress! How big is your house? 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Tessied
Just now, Lifesgood said:

It sounds like every time you contact them you end up with another mattress! How big is your house? 🤣

Not bloody big enough for three queen mattresses!  When I looked out the front today I almost fell over with surprise.

born.a.girl
1 minute ago, Tessied said:

If you don't want me to sound condescending, don't ask if you can sell something that's not yours.

• Like 2

Tessied
Just now, born.a.girl said:

If you don't want me to sound condescending, don't ask if you can sell something that's not yours.

How about you just ignore my threads?  You're always a little snarky and oh so perfect, so how about we ignore each other from now on?  Sound good?  

born.a.girl
1 minute ago, Tessied said:

How about you just ignore my threads?  You're always a little snarky and oh so perfect, so how about we ignore each other from now on?  Sound good?  

I am a long way from perfect, but ran a very successful business for 25 years on the basis of 'treat people as you'd like to be treated'.

The customers who gave me the best sales, and the suppliers that were the most profitable, were the ones who operated the same way.

CallMeFeral
7 hours ago, Living Type said:

Nope. All though they’ve stuffed up, they’ve stuffed up in the right way if that makes sense making sure you’re not without a mattress. If it’s been a major inconvenience, I’d be contacting them about some kind of refund for your time spent organising/waiting for pickups. 

This for me. They've somehow delivered you a third seemingly because of trying to rectify the inital delay. I wouldn't take advantage of that. 

However I would spend the minimum of time rectifying it - if their hold time is long, send them an email and tell them to contact you and arrange pickup within a fortnight if it lying around is going to be a hassle. 

6 hours ago, Squeekums The Elf said:

Youve let them know, i sure as hell wouldnt be running round chasing them up

Well she HASN'T let them know  yet about the third one it sounds like.

Certainly let them know and then you shouldn't feel you need to bother chasing them up if they don't sort it. Tell them a date they need to pick it up by, and THEN if they don't you could sell it!

Tinky Winky Woo

I can see how the mistake could occur, especially given lower trading hours for a lot of business's, lower staffing levels, longer postage times - genuine error I believe.

For me (even with low space in my home) I could not morally sell something without doing everything within my power to have the items returned - or at least not until the month of notice was past.

Boxed mattress's are biggish and inconvenient to store but it's 30 days not 30 years.  Also are you prepared to pay for the extra 2 mattress's if the company demands renumeration for the product?  

• Like 2

Freddie'sMum

I can see it would be frustrating for you OP but please don't sell the extra mattresses.  I wouldn't.  Keep using the 'chat' to contact the company and hopefully the 2 extra mattresses will be gone back to the company ASAP.  The way the economy is right now, and the stress everyone is under, don't add to it because of human error.  

• Like 5

Prancer is coming

Similar but different, but I got DH a heavy electrical appliance for Christmas - got second bottom of the range.  I took it to our holiday house, where we were celebrating Christmas.  DH was stoked and as he was assembling it he kept remarking on how fabulous it was.  I don’t know much about the item.  It was only after it was assembled and DH was still going on about it being wonderful and I thought it was meant to be a different colour thst I looked online at the options.  Turned out they had given me the top of the range one, over $1000 difference!

I did not feel right just accepting it, so I emailed them.  When they rang back, they asked if i could return it.  I advised that I was happy for them to collect it, but I ordered on line for convenience, their only store in my state was in the middle of the City centre (the mall where I could not even park  and it was really heavy) and I had 3 young kids I would have to have with me.  They did contemplate coming to get it  but our holiday house was out of the way.  They told me to keep it.  As I made contact with them, I have minimal guilt about the whole thing.  They stuffed up and not me and I was happy for them to take it back, but was not going to be massively inconvenienced to do so.

i do wonder if you would sleep at night (pun intended!) if you just kept it.

• Like 6

littlepickle

During our initial lock down I ordered the teenagers winter school uniforms for home delivery. I ended up with 2 parcels - one with my uniforms and a second with a very small set of winter uniforms for a primary school student. Rang the uniform shop who wanted me to either drive them to the shop or arrange to post them back at my expense - I politely declined both and  requested that someone pick them up from me (left outside in a secure location). After 4 weeks they were still sitting there.... I ended up dropping them off at a school nearby with the same colours (these were track pants where the emblem would be hidden by the jacket)

• Confused 1