My4beautifulboys

Choosing colours

My4beautifulboys
Posted (edited)

We're at the current stage in our new build. And our builder has asked us to choose colours for the window frames and roofing. Which is going to be Matt colourbond. We live on a rural property, so i'm thinking not pale colours. I think the darker earthy type colours would look nice.. eg Ironstone, Monument, Woodland grey. The external cladding of the house will be Hardiplank matrix, with a single pitch roof. So it will be a very modern look. But that of course can be painted to a colour to our liking. It doesnt have to be colourbond colours. But we need to have a bit of an idea of the external colour, to enable us to match the roof and window frames to coordinate together. Would love to hear your thoughts , for those that have built?ETA Do you think the colour Matt Monument would be too dark for a single pitch roof? From the front north view of the home, you wont actually see the roof colour. 

Edited by My4beautifulboys

born.a.girl

With those sorts of dark colours, some of which we've got, you won't have any trouble at all finding paint colours.

It's not as though they're orange, sky blue or red, colours that limit the ones that blend with them.

We've actually got a mix of two, because the large carport roofing was Ironstone, and the only 'reasonable' option with the frames and colour of the external window blinds (same side of the house) was Deep Ocean.

Given the limitations of Colourbond colours, I'd choose those for sure first, then work out your paint colour accordingly, which can be adapted no end in strengths and tones.

I had to google it to remind myself of our colours, and this implied that of the colours you list, only Monument is available in matt.  ???

https://colorbond.com/colour/matt/monument

eponee

I have a matte colorbond Basalt roof.  It's not quite charcoal in colour.

• Like 1

born.a.girl
2 minutes ago, eponee said:

I have a matte colorbond Basalt roof.  It's not quite charcoal in colour.

Gorgeous.  I love the dark colours.

Apageintime

Apparently a dark roof really impacts the thermal properties of your house. I wish we'd chosen a lighter roof tbh. Especially because it's not really something I look at. 

• Like 7

My4beautifulboys

Yes i also love the dark colours. But our builder did also say to avoid darker colours, as not so good for thermal properties of the home. I find a light coloured roof with darker walls, is too much of a contrast then. If we were going a paler roof, then i think i'd pair a lighter coloured wall.. decisions decisions!

Ozquoll
12 minutes ago, Apageintime said:

Apparently a dark roof really impacts the thermal properties of your house. I wish we'd chosen a lighter roof tbh. Especially because it's not really something I look at. 

I was coming in to mention this too! This article has a reasonable view of the pros and cons:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-48395221

• Like 4

CrankyM
Posted (edited)

I was going to mention the dark roof impacting the heat too. It’s why where we live  (Tropics) almost every single house has a pale coloured roof. Ours is paperbark with ocean walls. I guess if you live somewhere that is cooler in summer and winter then it will be fine but if it’s somewhere like QLD I’d seriously be thinking about the impact. 

Edited by CrankyM
  • Like 2

FuzzyChocolateToes
2 hours ago, Apageintime said:

Absolutely. Colorbond have a guide to the thermal properties of the different colour. Obviously Monument is one of the worst as it's almost black. We nearly chose Monument but did a 180 and chose Evening Haze instead. We looked at a lot of display homes and drove through many estates and it felt like every 2nd house had a Monument Roof. 

• Like 2

Meepy

We used to have an old red tin roof.  We replaced it with a colour bond white (surfmist) roof 4 years ago.  The temperature change in summer was immense- our power bills halved due to not needing as much cooling.  It doesn’t seem to have made it colder in winter either.

• Like 5

can'tstayaway

I’m one for looking to the local environment for colour inspiration. 

When we lived in an area with red clay soil, as much as I liked white, it was going to be an infuriating experience.  In one house, we were surrounded by that blue grey native bush land. Green/yellow tones really suited that house because of the way light reflected into the house.  In another house, the soil is sandy and the plants around are the introduced species with dark green glossy leaves. The house suited colours with a red base tone. 

I like Basalt because it has that dark grey look without being too dark like Monument. I also like Surfmist which was easy enough to pair with any house colour. 

• Like 1

My4beautifulboys

Thanks for your suggestions, they are helpful. 
I think the best choice for roofing is a pale colour, so to help reflect the heat in summer. Mind you we are located in southern W.A , so not particularly scorching in the summer. I think that the Basalt colour is very nice, as like Pp’s mentioned not as dark as some, like Monument. I think pared with a lighter coloured roof (Surfmist)? Would match up. 
This colour scheme i think matches nicely. 

48C25D65-57AC-4978-904E-74BDE5241C3D.png

born.a.girl

Ours is only the carport (large double carport with shed, that we look out on to from the house.  House is original tiles (cal bung). I hadn't thought about the thermal stuff because it was irrelevant for us, but obviously an issue if it's your whole house.    We've also painted the timber fencing and 'stepped' trellis on it a similar colour.    Good thing I'm not building a house!

My4beautifulboys

Just to add, i think our two chosen colorbond colours are either Shale grey or evening haze.  Given the single pitch of the roof, the colour won’t very visible from the front view, unless you go out to the back garden and look from the southern angle. If we chose Shale grey we’d have window frames same colour. I was thinking black for window frames, but our builder said to be mindful that the window frame is also visible from inside. So black may be a little too dark. 
I’d be Interested to hear your thoughts? 

can'tstayaway

I like black window frames. I always wanted that English black steel window look (prohibitively expensive). 

Do a search on Houzz for black windows and you’ll see lots of ideas. I wanted to paint our window frames black but we had issues with character overlay blah blah blah. 

• Like 1

My4beautifulboys

Do you think that black window frames can make it feel too prison bar like, from the inside looking out, or not? I really do like the black, I think it looks very smart. 

hills mum bec

We have black window frames and I have never thought of them looking like prison bars from inside.

BE00A09B-691B-4136-945E-A94F07D560F2.jpeg

• Like 1

can'tstayaway

I don’t think they look prison like unless you are doing lots of vertical bars 😆 

Im not sure what your style is but here’s a few examples that I don’t think are prison like, oppressive or too dark. I think the trick is to keep the inside looking light so there’s a contrast rather than drab grey. 

76CAB02D-95A7-4F94-B67E-02F2C21AD6C2.jpeg

5BBA7034-51C1-466D-B93E-02F8F1BDF0AA.jpeg

DFF65FC9-E8DF-461D-BD6B-8245C8AD45C9.jpeg

54D6235D-6711-401E-9C9D-57BCA7755E8D.jpeg

• Like 1

My4beautifulboys

Thanks for the link and suggestions. I definitely haven’t ruled out black as a window frame colour, I think it looks very smart. A family member has anodised aluminium frames in her home, dark brown. It was built in the late 70’s. It looks alright, being a darker colour. 
This is what the front view of our home will be like. 

90EDCF92-1B7B-456B-BB54-A787AC1FA831.jpeg

My4beautifulboys

Just curious to know, has anyone used colourbond Surfmist as a roofing colour, and how did you find it?  I the the beauty of choosing a pale roof colour, is then you can match it with darker tones, for the walls, trim etc. 

Rosepickles

We have just been through the process of selecting house colours. It isn't built yet so can't tell you if it looks good, fingers crossed!

We chose surfmist roof and window frames. We live near the water, so felt that the light colours would work. I was also keen on the thermal effect. 

I think dark window frames look great and not prison-ish at all. 

• Like 1

can'tstayaway
6 hours ago, My4beautifulboys said:

Just curious to know, has anyone used colourbond Surfmist as a roofing colour, and how did you find it?  I the the beauty of choosing a pale roof colour, is then you can match it with darker tones, for the walls, trim etc. 

I have had surfmist as a roof colour. For that house, we had white trims and grey house. I liked it.  Would have been an expensive mistake if I didn’t 😆 

• Like 1

My4beautifulboys
Posted (edited)

Our builder has suggested Surfmist be a too light a colour,  as it is white. We live rurally, so I can understand it may look a little stark. 
We’re considering Shale grey, which is a pale grey. Or even Windspray which is slightly darker grey. Or a darker grey again would be Basalt, but think this one one be a little dark? 

Edited by My4beautifulboys

can'tstayaway

I don’t understand how being too ‘light’ is a problem?  Obviously people have a preference based on their own likes and dislikes but neither should be a problem. 

Where we lived with the Surfmist house, had that iron rich, red clay soil. We also went against the local trend of dark shale pavers in the garden and had very light limestone paths. They were professionally sealed and never stained. The dust on the roof was not a big issue because it would wash off with rain. 

We were never trying to ‘hide’ the house in the landscape so a light roof colour didn’t make a difference. Our gardening helped to ‘anchor’ it to the landscape.  I don’t often take design advice from builders. They are practical but I’ve not met one who didn’t find my style challenging at the concept stage 😝 They’ve often copied what I’ve done on subsequent jobs and accepted praise on their taste 😆

• Like 3