seayork2002

Do you have a phone voice?

seayork2002

I have been working from home for a while now but I only just realised I have a phone voice when I receive calls not when I make them i don't think

No real reason for asking just a fluffy thread

FiveAus

I'm not sure about a "voice" but I definitely have a phone manner. My kids always complain I'm hard to talk to on the phone because I don't do phone chit chat. It's "Yep, what do you want? How can I help you? OK, that's fine, see ya"
That's partly due to work but also because I don't actually like phone chit chat.

• Like 3

22Fruitmincepies

I have a phone voice for all non-personal calls, probably a phone persona really. I find phone calls anxiety provoking and acting makes it easier for me. 

• Like 8

Chocolate Addict

You mean apart from not swearing on business calls?? :p

• Like 2

Chicken Pie
14 minutes ago, 22Fruitmincepies said:

I have a phone voice for all non-personal calls, probably a phone persona really. I find phone calls anxiety provoking and acting makes it easier for me. 

yep this is me

Kiwi Bicycle

I think so. At my last job the customer service team ( which I wasn't a member of) asked me to record all their messages and options on the new phone system.

But also at the same job, the owner,  in a brand new, open plan which he approved ( he was formerly in a personal office) complained I talked on the phone too loud. Funny enough, no one else had a problem about my voice volume.

kimasa

Yep. It's my general work voice. A lot more peppy than my normal voice.

• Like 2

BadCat

Not a voice, but I have a phone manner for work.  My phone manner for personal calls is the same as my normal manner.

TheGreenSheep

I also have a phone manner. I’m so much nicer to clients than to my DH answering the phone. He usually gets a curt ‘yep what do you want’

• Like 1

Bethlehem Babe

Absolutely. After I was told that I sounded like an absolute bimbo on the phone when I picked it up when I’d been laughing and joking with friends In my first job. 
I now lower my pitch and sound serious. All the time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

overlytired
27 minutes ago, Chocolate Addict said:

You mean apart from not swearing on business calls?? :p

Thats pretty limiting. My workplace does not frown on swearing.

No phone voice here, I'm the same on the phone as in person.

blue86

According to my staff, I have about four “voices”

Normal chatting - my office and the workshop, swearing very permissible 

p*ssed off - operators being idiots and breaking stuff - lots of swearing

Phone/video call voice - professional but casual, no swearing

Executive voice - for when I’m dealing with directors etc, or writing emails which while very, very polite, basically say “get ****ed” in a very professional manner

😂

(I mostly avoid phone calls in my private life, probably because I’d pick the wrong mode 🤦‍♀️)

bubskitkat

Yes, I am always meant to be so happy in work calls. 

my boss has commented that I sound so happy even when talking absolute BS.

As I am using my mobile for both personal and work purposes, I now use my happy voice for both.

bubskitkat

Btw I worked in market research whilst at uni and we were told that being happy and polite was a way to p*ss those off whom were abusing us for calling. The more abuse we got the happier we became. “Why thank you sir I will remember your personal thoughts on myself when I next choose to visit hell”

• Like 1

seayork2002
2 minutes ago, bubskitkat said:

Btw I worked in market research whilst at uni and we were told that being happy and polite was a way to p*ss those off whom were abusing us for calling. The more abuse we got the happier we became. “Why thank you sir I will remember your personal thoughts on myself when I next choose to visit hell”

I learnt that in one of my previous jobs the nicer and sweeter I got the more it annoyed the rude and made me happier

But also in my current job we can tell when the person is straight away happy when I pick up we know they are sales people.

So when I put the call through to my boss (the owner) I shout out 'we have a happy one' he knows what I mean 

They are on hold when I say it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

MooGuru

I realised I had a phone voice when I was getting over a really bad cough and every time I answered the phone I'd trigger a coughing fit. I could have a normal conversation without issue most of the time. Not sure if I was trying to talk louder or something but every single damn time. 

Poughkeepsie

My husband has a definite phone voice. We tease him about it all the time because he uses a lot of “gee whiz” and “really, wow” 😁 when he never normally uses those in normal conversation. It’s hilarious

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

~*~blizzy~*~

I 100% have a phone voice. My husband thinks it’s the most hilarious thing! More noticeable since working from home

spr_maiden
2 hours ago, 22Fruitmincepies said:

I think phone persona is probably more accurate for me too - for when I'm dealing with bill errors, or maintenance issues, etc etc.  Everyone else gets normal old happy me, albeit with a touch less foul language. 

Ozquoll
32 minutes ago, Poughkeepsie said:

My husband has a definite phone voice. We tease him about it all the time because he uses a lot of “gee whiz” and “really, wow” 😁 when he never normally uses those in normal conversation. It’s hilarious

My mother does something like that. I don't find it amusing when she does it - it's infuriating! She has a rota of "wow", "really", "ok" and "oh". She will interrupt to say one of those words, and they get applied to any situation:

"You remember Damo from XYZ? He and his wife just won a million bucks on Lotto"

"Wow!"

"Neighbour hasn't brought his bins in for three days"

"Wow!"

"BIL lost his job"

"Ok. Really. Wow!"

Etc

Bono25

I don't think I do, except for when I'm trying to nicely tell someone to stop being so stupid. 

Dh has a different voice with his friends. It gets a lot lower when he's talking to other men than with me or his mum. It's funny to hear it change between calls. 

Luci

Apparently I do have a bit of special phone voice, my kids sometimes tease me.  I have just been talking to my Mum on the phone. Its a bit of a tiring experience sometimes because her hearing isn't very good and I have to just about shout down the phone as well as repeating things several times.  I suspect half my suburb has had the pleasure of hearing my special phone voice today as I shouted down the phone about Nanna's broken hip and Uncle Daryl having to sell his caravan because of his dodgy knees 🙄

JustBeige

Yep absolutely I do. Customer service training coupled with "talk clearly on the phone" upbringing created it. 

I have different "phone voice" tones as well. My business voice is moderated to diffuse yelling and abuse. 

Apparently its also kinds of sexy and if I get a cold it moves straight  into hot. - according to feedback I get.

Friends and family, i am dont change it that much. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gudrun

I know I don't have it but I know what it is.

IamtheMumma

Yes I have it for work. I'm as sweet as pie, very humourous and just a little bit of a flirt. 

I frequently deal with angry people. The madder they get, the sweeter I am. Usually I've got them eating out of my hand by the end of the call. Workmates get me to ring the grumpy people because they respond better to me. 

• Like 1