spr_maiden

Sim only phone plan - do you have an excellent deal?

spr_maiden

Hello wise EBers

My mobile contract is due to expire soon, and I am looking to avoid another prepaid phone plan.  I am also on a mission to save money for the rest of the year - no doubt like many people atm.

Do you have a good BYO phone plan? If so, what do you pay monthly, and what does it include please?  I am looking for one that offers similar to my current plan - 10Gb(though a bit less would be fine and suitable too), calls SMS MMS included, good network coverage (is 4G the current one?)

It has been years since I haven't had a prepaid phone - do you just use contents insurance as your phone insurance, or is there some other way to insure your phone? Do you even bother?

Any advice and help would be awesome.  

TIA.

pinkflamingo

We’re both with Belong, they use the Telstra infrastructure. We pay $25 a month, 10gb data, everything else unlimited and any unusued data is banked (we were just on holidays and I had over 100gb banked). The best part is, we also got DD11 a $10 Belong phone sim (only 1gb), but we can gift her data from ours as well. I guess it helps that we use wifi at home.

As for insurance, I’ve never thought about it honestly. Any issues I’ve had with my Apple phone they have fixed either for a small fee or for free.

• Thanks 1

jmjsa

We use Aldi which runs off Telstra network.  It is 25 a month unlimited calls and texts, some overseas (which I never use) and 18gb of data that rolls over if not all use

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CrankyM

Dh uses the woolworths one. Uses the Telstra infrastructure (our house is a dead spot with anything bar Telstra). He uses the $30 for 40gb/month but they have a 6gb for $20. I have also use the $10/1gb for the kid's phone (and their app lets me turn the data off on that one). Usual unlimited called/messages etc. 

• Thanks 1

hoom
Posted (edited)

Check out whistleout.com.au to compare plans

Edited by hoom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BornToLove

We have a Telstra prepaid deal. $300 for the year with 150GB of data. Unlimited calls and texts. Works out to about $25 per month, which was half the cost of what our post-pay plans were. 

our phones are covered under our contents insurance. We generally have newer iphones (less than 2 years old) so it’s worth while for us. If we had older phones or less expensive ones, I wouldn’t bother. 

• Thanks 1

~LemonMyrtle~

I use Aldi. They have some great cheap plans and use Telstra towers.
I have the family plan. $80 a month,  but that’s for 4 SIM cards and 72GB of data, when you add it up, it’s pretty cheap. We have it in two phones and two iPads. With this plan, you may not need home internet. 

• Thanks 1

spr_maiden

Thank you PPs, that's helpful!

Wow,  prepaid is cheaper than I thought it would be.  I feel so ripped off with postpaid now 😄.

The family plan sounds good for future. Atm, it's just me who needs a plan - kids use wifi for ipad, no phones yet and DH has a phone through work. I really do like the sound of dropping home internet though. That is probably my next question - what do people pay for WiFi per month? Is either/or mob data/WiFi the regular set-up for lots of families? I feel we pay so much for wifi too - $70/mth for unlimited. 

ExpatInAsia

I recently got DD an Optus pre paid sim that expires after 365 days. It had unlimited talk/text and 120GB data. It usually costs $180 but was reduced to $150 so $12.50 per month - bargain.

• Like 1

Bereckii

Vaya $16/mth: - 3GB data, unlimited standard talk, unlimited standard text, unlimited voicemail. Optus network. 

They also have $26/mth with 18GB data.

I'll be interested to hear people's input on internet options at home.

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef
4 hours ago, jmjsa said:

We use Aldi which runs off Telstra network.  It is 25 a month unlimited calls and texts, some overseas (which I never use) and 18gb of data that rolls over if not all use

Both Aldi and Kogan also do yearly plans which I think work out even cheaper ~ $18 per month with similar data.  But then of course you are stuck with them for a year. 

Meepy

We use southern and exetel - great value.

• Like 1

spr_maiden

Yes MMM, good point about being stuck with them for 12 months - what if coverage is no good? I guess they all use same infrastructure though so same same? 🤔