Lou-bags

A question about CCS reconciliation/balancing

Lou-bags

Hi all, 

I wonder if you could help me with this question. We submitted our tax return for the 18/19 financial year recently (May, just in the nick of time) and these have been processed and our tax return disbursed. 

What I'm wondering is when I can expect for Centrelink to reconcile the CCS we received that year, and either issue us with a bill or pay us any CCS we are owed? (the latter is more likely - I tend to overestimate our income a little)

Reason for asking is that for that financial year, Centrelink have overpaid us by a little over $5k (I made a thread about it at the time). We've been holding that money ever since, as we weren't able to repay it. I'd REALLY love to get it back to Centrelink ASAP. 

Appreciate any insight.

Cheers! 

IamtheMumma

I think you'd need to ring to get it done. It will be low down on their list of things to process voluntarily given its tax time and covid.

• Like 1

Lou-bags
2 hours ago, IamtheMumma said:

I think you'd need to ring to get it done. It will be low down on their list of things to process voluntarily given its tax time and covid.

Suspect you’re right about the priorities thing. Does that mean everyone’s CCS reconciliations have been delayed also?

Last time I phoned (when the over paid amount appeared in my account) they said I had to wait until they issued me with a debt notice which couldn’t happen until we did our tax return apparently (IIRC). 

Murderino
Posted (edited)

It’s automated, there’s no one waiting to do it. If you call they will tell you if they will be able to tell you if they have your actual income information from the ATO, they won’t be able to tell you when it will happen.

I also don’t think balancing starts till August for anyone, I’m trying to find it in their website.

Edited to add

I can’t find anything about August so I might have misremembered that but here is the information from the website about balancing CCS:

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/topics/balancing-your-family-assistance-payments/29376#childcaresub

Edited by Murderino
Add web link
  • Like 2

Lou-bags
Posted (edited)

Thanks @Murderino!. And now that you've said August, I've remembered that last year that's when we got the payments (the correct one and the bonus overpayment). I'll wait it out then.

Also, just went to the link you posted and followed the instructions. It says they have all the info they need but haven't finished balancing yet, "We have received all the information we need and will balance your payments as soon as we can." 

Cannot wait to get rid of this extra money, I find it really bothersome for some reason - knowing it's right there in my account but it's not mine but I can't pay it back yet. 

Edited by Lou-bags
  • Like 1

VigilantePaladin

18/19 is being done. 19/20 is August.

CCS reconciliation is new. Patience grasshopper 😉

• Haha 1

Lou-bags
13 minutes ago, VigilantePaladin said:

18/19 is being done. 19/20 is August.

CCS reconciliation is new. Patience grasshopper 😉

Yes but the overpayment we got was for 18/19, and we only just did our 18/19 tax return in May. So ours hasn’t been done yet. 

I just checked on the app again to be sure and it’s saying ‘please check again on 10 August 2020).

So I will be a zen, patient grasshopper until then 😂

melanieb530
Posted (edited)

I phoned about this (more than once) as it has been quite some time since we completed our returns for 2018-19 and initially got the general "you'll need to wait" response but was told by a helpful person on my third call  that as debt collections are on hold they can't do the CCS reconciliation and let me know the outcome  in my case  because I owe money. I expressed concern about this as it could obviously be a $5 debt or a $500 debt or perhaps substantially more if there was a stuff up somewhere. . She said that she couldn't tell me the amount but suggested that it's not an amount that I would need to be concerned about. I assume perhaps they can see the amount but are not allowed officially to say. Will have to wait and see. I'm hoping to do my next tax return for 2019-20 soon (and my income has been less for the last year than I estimated)  so perhaps it will all balance out in the end between the 2 year's returns. .  

Edited by melanieb530
  • Like 1

Froggilicious

I did our 18/19 tax return in late May/early June and had our CCS reconciliation within 5 days, before I received my tax refund. I’d be calling and chasing things up. It should be fairly automatic.