PocketIcikleflakes

*Spin off, sort of* How do you stuff a super king bed size duvet cover?

PocketIcikleflakes
Posted (edited)

As per title. 

How do you stuff a super king size doona into its cover.

Bearing in mind that I'm not even five foot nothing tall.

I feel like I didn't think it through properly when I decided to upsize my bedding... 😂

I can stand on the bed of necessary. And I have small children I can bribe to crawl into the corners...

Edited by PocketIcikleflakes

pukeko walking

Turn the duvet cover inside-out and lay flat on the bed. Place the duvet flat on top. Reach through the opening and grab the top corners of both the duvet and cover. Flip through :) 

It might need a shake but it does work! 

• Like 2

laridae

I grab a corner of the quilt then poke it into a far corner in the cover. Repeat with the other corner. Turn it around, holding by the corners that are filled and shake really hard until the cover is mostly on. Then fix up the near corners and repeat the shake, then button it up.

• Like 1

Ruf~Feral~es

If you have any big safety pins - do as suggested above, but put a safety pin through the corner to in the doona into it (from the outside).  then you can let it go and do the other corner.  

Then hold both corners and shake.  

• Like 2

wallofdodo

Oh there is a rolling method which I have used to great success. 

you lay the doona cover on the bed inside out, then put the doona on top. Then you roll the doona and the cover together like a swill roll, from the unopened end towards the opened end. When rolled you kinda flip it inside out, then unroll and ta-daaaa its in the cover. I will try and find a video link. Its is seriously life changing!

• Like 2

wallofdodo

• Like 3

CrankyM

Ooh safety pins. What a brilliant idea. I wonder if I could leave them in permanently so we don’t end up with cover and doona all over the place. It’s the reason we often leave it off with DH because I end up waking up with the cover tangled everywhere due to how he moves in his sleep. One kid is the same, every single time I use one he wakes up screaming because some how he’s gotten tangle in the covers. Don’t ask me how, it just happens. There has been too many midnight/3am rescues for me to use them with him anymore. 

• Like 1

Green Sage

Turn it inside out, put your hands into each corner, grab the corners of the doona, and then wiggle the cover off your arms. Then lay it on the bed and pull the doona down over the rest of it.

then just shake shake shake to get it all flat inside. 

Green Sage
13 minutes ago, CrankyM said:

Ooh safety pins. What a brilliant idea. I wonder if I could leave them in permanently so we don’t end up with cover and doona all over the place. It’s the reason we often leave it off with DH because I end up waking up with the cover tangled everywhere due to how he moves in his sleep. One kid is the same, every single time I use one he wakes up screaming because some how he’s gotten tangle in the covers. Don’t ask me how, it just happens. There has been too many midnight/3am rescues for me to use them with him anymore. 

You need 100% cotton quilt covers, and not printed ones, they’re more sticky and less slippery. (My kids super hero printed covers are the absolute worst.

and also buy these

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/152973178961?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-139619-5960-0&mkcid=2&itemid=152973178961&targetid=921460872473&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=9071414&poi=&campaignid=10101785015&mkgroupid=102311922180&rlsatarget=pla-921460872473&abcId=1145981&merchantid=111485815&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8ejouMfd6gIVzBwrCh0fxwXIEAQYBCABEgK5v_D_BwE

• Like 1

PocketIcikleflakes

Thank you!

Loving these tips so far. I do the corner and shake with our Queen doona and I feel like that size might be the max for reach and weight but I can stand on the bed to get the length at least. 

I've seen the Rolling technique before but I think I'll actually give it a go this time 😁

And yes, with kids doona covers you need a matt grippy material I find. Though DD will still mess those up.

eponee
36 minutes ago, pukeko walking said:

Turn the duvet cover inside-out and lay flat on the bed. Place the duvet flat on top. Reach through the opening and grab the top corners of both the duvet and cover. Flip through :)

It might need a shake but it does work! 

That's what I do too

• Like 1

CrankyM

@LemonMyrtle I only ever my 100% cotton quilt covers but it’s just this kid. The other kids is perfectly fine but same doona cover and he somehow ends up with it tangle around him. He’s a thrasher when sleeping. (It’s why I refuse to sleep with him). Those quilt things look great! His doona has ties on the corners but I’ve never seen any covered with corresponding ties. 

• Like 1

Ruf~Feral~es
58 minutes ago, CrankyM said:

I have done so in the past.  The best ones to use are the baby nappy pins, so they don't come open during the night and cause unexpected pain! :) 

• Like 1

Green Sage
59 minutes ago, CrankyM said:

@LemonMyrtle I only ever my 100% cotton quilt covers but it’s just this kid. The other kids is perfectly fine but same doona cover and he somehow ends up with it tangle around him. He’s a thrasher when sleeping. (It’s why I refuse to sleep with him). Those quilt things look great! His doona has ties on the corners but I’ve never seen any covered with corresponding ties. 

The clips work. We have Panda ones. You need lots though, I like three across the top, and two down the bottom. That keeps it pretty sorted. 

• Like 1

Hollycoddle
4 hours ago, CrankyM said:

Target brand feather doonas and their doona covers have little ties in the corners for this purpose.

PocketIcikleflakes

So the cover is on! In the end I tucked a top end corner in, lined up the top edges until I got to the other corner, then did the same down each side. Then fluffed the whole thing. 

I do however feel that next time a sheet changing poll is posted my response will be "only when these polls are posted and make me feel guilty..."

• Haha 4

can'tstayaway
5 hours ago, wallofdodo said:

Oh there is a rolling method which I have used to great success. 

you lay the doona cover on the bed inside out, then put the doona on top. Then you roll the doona and the cover together like a swill roll, from the unopened end towards the opened end. When rolled you kinda flip it inside out, then unroll and ta-daaaa its in the cover. I will try and find a video link. Its is seriously life changing!

That’s what I do. I find the super king to be too heavy to stuff using my normal technique of stuffing and shaking out. 

5 hours ago, CrankyM said:

I have little ties for DD’s doona. She’s the only one who seems to have the doona moving issue. 

overlytired
7 hours ago, laridae said:

I grab a corner of the quilt then poke it into a far corner in the cover. Repeat with the other corner. Turn it around, holding by the corners that are filled and shake really hard until the cover is mostly on. Then fix up the near corners and repeat the shake, then button it up.

I do similar here: I stand at the foot of the bed with the duvet cover lai out on the top 2/3 of the bed, and the duvet near me. I start by poking  the far corners of the duvet into the cover then also put the other 2 corners of the duvet nearest me into the cover. It's a bit of of a mess at this point, but then I move to one side of the bed, align the duvet edge with the seam on the duvet cover, making sure they're straight & together. Once I've grabbed onto that, just fluff it as hard as possible a few times and then do the same on the other side. Then it's ready to be buttoned / zipped.

purpleblaze

I'd love a doona cover with 3 opens end so you can lay to doona in the cover, fold the cover in half and clip/zip/button around the 3 edges (like a suitcase).  Changing doonas is one of my most hated domestic tasks. 

• Like 1

Ruf~Feral~es

Another tip - depending on how much you like sharing a doona........ DH and I have separate double doonas, one each.  I jsut buy matching double doona covers so when the bed is made they look the same.  He gets to have his paper thin doona and I have a thicker one.  We don't fight over them.  

And it is so much easier changing a double doona cover than a king.  

• Like 1

dadwasathome

WE have 100% cotton, but only king. I really should try pegs or pins as, even though I'm 6'3", the whole process is more annoying than it should be.

CrankyM

Bedspreads. They make not having to wrangle a doona into a cover so much easier. You can also just sandwich the doona between a flat sheet and the bedspread. I bought two recently and they are fabulous. 

blue86
On 21/07/2020 at 2:56 PM, ~LemonMyrtle~ said:

Turn it inside out, put your hands into each corner, grab the corners of the doona, and then wiggle the cover off your arms. Then lay it on the bed and pull the doona down over the rest of it.

then just shake shake shake to get it all flat inside. 

I basically do this, but stand on the bed (for height) and jump and shake the cover down the doona till it reaches the other end, do the buttons up and grab the bottom corners and jump/shake again for good measure 😊

• Like 1

Ernegirl

^^ Same. In a previous address I used to hang the doona over the banister on the landing and let gravity and the weight bearing banister do the work for me. 

kimasa

OH OH OH OH OH

YOU SEW RIBBONS ONTO EACH CORNER OF THE DOONA AND RIBBON LOOPS ON EACH CORNER OF THE DOONA COVER AND TIE THEM ALL TOGETHER, THEN FLOOF IT A COUPLE OF TIMES.

DD's doona came with ties on each corner and it blew my mind WHY ARE THESE NOT STANDARD, THANK YOU TARGET! So I sewed them into mine.

Photo of DD's wonderful doona ties that sent me on a sewing spree.

IMG_20200810_182907.jpg

• Like 4