Riotproof

Coles Little Treehouse promotion

Riotproof

I really, really like the idea of this. instead of little plastic things, which Barbie still plays with btw, Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton mini books are the giveaway. 
https://www.medianet.com.au/releases/189655/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Behind Hazel Eyes

Sounds great.  DD and Ds1 love the tree house books.

• Like 1

seayork2002

Thanks, ds12 still loves these books

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef

Sweeeeeet my kids love these books.   We also have barbies that play with little plastic jars of Nutella and toothpaste in this house, much as I am against wasteful use of plastic and clutter. 

Squeekums The Elf

I may be one of the few, but this seems irrelevant to us

DD has read all the treehouse books, can do so in a night. These just too short and she wouldnt bother

• Like 1

Prancer is coming
33 minutes ago, Squeekums The Elf said:

I may be one of the few, but this seems irrelevant to us

DD has read all the treehouse books, can do so in a night. These just too short and she wouldnt bother

My DS has read them all too.  He can also read them in one night if we are comparing reading ability :).  However, they are not irrelevant to us.  He started reading them in prep and despite being now in grade 6, he is still keen to buy the new books that come out the day they are released.  We have also been to book promotion events.  He really enjoys the series.  He does not know about the new Coles promotion yet, but I know he will be keen.  I estimate he has read some of the treehouse books 50 times.  I think a book promotion is much better than plastic toys.  And whilst I have kids that are into books, not all kids are, and anything that promotes reading and makes it fun is a big win from me.

• Like 12

kimasa

I'd be positive, but all the McDonalds and Big W ones that ended up dumped on my desk after being found in the returns chute with "donations" post its on them makes me fear for the state of my desk now that I'm redeployed.

STRAIGHT IN THE BIN, COLLEAGUES! NO ONE WANTS 200 COPIES OF THE SAME SINGLE CHAPTER OF A BOOK WE HAVE THE WHOLE BOOK OF!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Riotproof
4 minutes ago, kimasa said:

I'd be positive, but all the McDonalds and Big W ones that ended up dumped on my desk after being found in the returns chute with "donations" post its on them makes me fear for the state of my desk now that I'm redeployed.

STRAIGHT IN THE BIN, COLLEAGUES! NO ONE WANTS 200 COPIES OF THE SAME SINGLE CHAPTER OF A BOOK WE HAVE THE WHOLE BOOK OF!

I think it’s actually new stories. It seems to be about encouraging literacy in younger kids. Dd5 will be excited I think. Ds10 not so much. 

#notallcats
7 minutes ago, kimasa said:

Can't you pass on to Op shops or in the recycling if allowed?

I can't figure out if they are new books or not.  My kids love the series, and re-read often.  They also read them in one night, but I guess it's like comic books in my day.... you read them quickly, but often went back again and again.

kimasa

Oh god they're tiny! Lol they're going to end up in the rollers.

• Haha 1

kimasa
3 minutes ago, #notallcats said:

Can't you pass on to Op shops or in the recycling if allowed?

I can't figure out if they are new books or not.  My kids love the series, and re-read often.  They also read them in one night, but I guess it's like comic books in my day.... you read them quickly, but often went back again and again.

The issue with many kids books is that they're often not recycleble. They're made of mixed materials, often plastic coated, to make them more durable, picture books more so than chapter books, but there are some exceptions (Geronimo Stilton in particular comes to mind). The McDonalds ones were all mm, it would be interesting to see what Coles do. From the pictures they're tiny, palm-sized, so mm would make sense, at least on the covers.

• Like 2

got my tinsel on
1 hour ago, kimasa said:

Can't you put them on a table with  a 'Free - please help yourself' sign?

Our local library often has book sales (a shopping bag full for $5) with children's books  free.

Squeekums The Elf
57 minutes ago, Prancer is coming said:

My DS has read them all too.  He can also read them in one night if we are comparing reading ability :).  However, they are not irrelevant to us.  He started reading them in prep and despite being now in grade 6, he is still keen to buy the new books that come out the day they are released.  We have also been to book promotion events.  He really enjoys the series.  He does not know about the new Coles promotion yet, but I know he will be keen.  I estimate he has read some of the treehouse books 50 times.  I think a book promotion is much better than plastic toys.  And whilst I have kids that are into books, not all kids are, and anything that promotes reading and makes it fun is a big win from me.

My bold, Don't get the snippyness, was just showing why they would be irrelevant to dd. She would be annoyed they so short.

I didn't say it was an irrelevant promotion. Just not for us. I thought this topic was about the promotion in general, not a must do love in for it

I know when it comes up on the Coles forum/test site they will ask if it's relevant to kids in certain age brackets. They wouldnt want fake love in answers, they would want to know who it's relevant to or not. 

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle

We used to rip the covers off and recycle the pages of a paperback when we trashed books damaged or too old to sell at the book store.  I also remember after Xmas when paper recycling was done in big skips at drop off places in NZ ( before curbside recycling), helping a truck druver stack paper and cardboard recycling that was dumped outsudd the skip as it was too full with my family. It took 2 loads to clear. The driver was so grateful for the help that he gave us some paperback books he'd rescued for elsewhere...

But back to the topic. They are great for learning to read.  Compared to the ancient readers we get sent home with ( books from 1995 anyone? ). Schools might take them as donations too.

• Like 3

kimasa
9 minutes ago, got my tinsel on said:

Can't you put them on a table with  a 'Free - please help yourself' sign?

Our local library often has book sales (a shopping bag full for $5) with children's books  free.

I know you're trying to find a way around this, and I appreciate that, but I don't think you're fully grasping the quantity we get.

When Big W were handing them out, we stopped counting at 200. Everyone who wanted them took them from Big W (and it seems many then changed their minds when they realised that they were partial stories or poor quality), those who didn't, didn't want downsized Scholastic re-prints ii n the first place. We can't dedicate the human resources or floor space to moving hundreds of items of promotional stock for someone else, we're understaffed and squished to fit as it is.

• Like 4

Julie3Girls

I’m reserving judgement until I see them in person - the books are really tiny, so what are like inside - how much writing, how small? How much a story are they actually going to be. Obviously going to be aimed fairly young.

I do like the idea of books rather than plastic stuff.  I’d actually prefer a giveaway where you could earn book tokens to “buy” a decent a book, but I guess it is all about instant gratification of getting a book each time you do a fairly small shop.

• Like 1

Chocolate Addict

My 15yo loves the treehouse books, we will be collecting.

I have started a shopping list so I can do as much as I can in one big shop instead of smaller like I normally do. (I have to go to the shops daily for my special needs child anyway)

• Like 1

Riotproof

These are the titles. 

CB4DCC88-78CA-46FB-A057-520A677C8A67.jpeg

• Like 1

kimasa

It's barky the barking dog!

To me they look 50/50 new and old, we've had about half of them in our collection for a few years. They're little rhymes about the characters that pop up in the series.

• Like 1

Prancer is coming

Gosh, there are so many.  The promotion works, looks like I will be doing a lot of shopping at Coles to get all of these!  Even my grade 8 child who has read all the books but no where near as keen on them as my son, said she was excited about these.

• Like 2

#notallcats

Anyone got one yet?  I got a couple but not opened yet (kids would kill me).   They are really, really tiny though!  Like credit card size, and not a lot thicker either.  

• Like 1

Riotproof

Not yet. Did you buy the folder? I never do. Just seems like it encourages the "gotta get em all" mentality. 

• Like 1

#notallcats
2 minutes ago, Riotproof said:

Not yet. Did you buy the folder? I never do. Just seems like it encourages the "gotta get em all" mentality. 

No I didn't, for the same reason... I'll probably be nagged into it though!

• Haha 1

Mrs Claus

We got two today. The 3 year old was happy

F4749FCA-947C-4191-9722-10936F6D3CCB.jpeg

• Like 1

Chocolate Addict

We got 6 today (had to do a big shop) but half of them were doubles. lol Thankfully there is a little group of friends that we trade/swap with so should be fine.

I heard today there is a rare gold book too.

We bought the folder, my kid likes it and I like that it keeps them all in the one place.

• Like 2