Parents of a three-year-old boy are 'crushed', after a simple scraped knee resulted in both his legs being amputated.
When Beauden Baumkirchner, from San Diego in the US, fell off his bike his parents thought nothing of it, cleaning the wound and putting a bandage on it.
Within 48 hours, his knee had swollen, and he developed a fever.
The boy was admitted to the ICU and diagnosed with a staph infection which quickly spread throughout his whole body, his immune system was further compromised as sepsis set in.
"They kept telling us, there's swelling, all of his extremes are shutting down," his father Brian told CBS 21 news. "Every parent's worst nightmare, you can't do anything. You're helpless."
The three-year-old almost died after developing toxic shock syndrome, however doctors were able to save his life.
Tragically, to save his life doctors had to perform a double leg amputation after the infection caused a loss of blood flow to his limbs, with the possibility of his hands being amputated as well.
Beauden Baumkirchner with his mum Juliana. Photo: Facebook
To help the family with medical bills, relatives launched a fundraising page, which has already raised more than USD $120,000 (AUD $164,680).
"As you might imagine, this beautiful family has been literally crushed by these events," the page explained.
"Aside from having most of the facets of a young boys life stripped from their hands, they are faced with an uphill battle with insurance, recovery, ancillary care, and the likelihood of counselling for them all."
Beauden Baumkirchner had both his legs amputated after he fell of his bike. Photo: Facebook
"They are also incurring the basic life costs of local room and board for mum, dad and Beauden's two older sisters."
"This poor little boy has done nothing to anybody; he's just this innocent little boy," Beauden's father Brian Baumkirchner told NBC.
"Don't take any days for granted, that's for sure."